Bandaids

I've made a few slight changes to Tom Fidgen's toolchest design, namely increasing the dimensions somewhat, using a two piece approach for the bottom runners and adding a half mortise lock. It was my first time installing a lock and although the mortising and keyhole parts went well, the selvage was sitting proud of the surface... Oh well, time to learn how to edge band. 

I've made a few slight changes to Tom Fidgen's toolchest design, namely increasing the dimensions somewhat, using a two piece approach for the bottom runners and adding a half mortise lock. It was my first time installing a lock and although the mortising and keyhole parts went well, the selvage was sitting proud of the surface... Oh well, time to learn how to edge band. 

I'll be honest, it took a couple tries to cut the banding around the selvage plate and to the exact length of side. On the plus side, it's pretty cheap stuff so I could afford to make mistakes. 

I'll be honest, it took a couple tries to cut the banding around the selvage plate and to the exact length of side. On the plus side, it's pretty cheap stuff so I could afford to make mistakes. 

After some ironing and rubbing with a block of wood it looked pretty good. The surface was practically flush and only the overhang was left to trim. 

After some ironing and rubbing with a block of wood it looked pretty good. The surface was practically flush and only the overhang was left to trim. 

A sharp razor blade made short work of the excess, I couldn't be happier with how easily this fix worked out. 

A sharp razor blade made short work of the excess, I couldn't be happier with how easily this fix worked out. 

The screws for the half mortise are also sitting proud, on Wednesday I'll file them down flush. 

The screws for the half mortise are also sitting proud, on Wednesday I'll file them down flush.